Hyundai Tucson: Liftgate
Opening the liftgate
Make sure the vehicle is in P (Park) and set the parking brake.
Then do one of the following:
- Unlock all doors with the Door Unlock button on your remote key or smart key. Press the liftgate handle button and open the liftgate.
- Press and hold the liftgate open button on the remote key or smart key. Press the liftgate handle button and open the liftgate.
- With the Smart Key in your possession, press the liftgate handle button and open the liftgate.
Closing the liftgate
Lower the liftgate lid and press down until it locks. To be sure the liftgate lid is securely fastened, always check by trying to pull it up again without pressing the liftgate handle button.
Always keep the liftgate completely closed while the vehicle is in motion. If it is left open or ajar, poisonous exhaust gases containing carbon monoxide (CO) may enter the vehicle and serious illness or death may result.
To prevent damage to the liftgate support struts and the attached hardware, always close the liftgate before driving.
In cold and wet climates, liftgate lock and liftgate mechanisms may not work properly due to freezing conditions.
Do not grab or hold on to the liftgate support struts at any time. Damage to the liftgate support struts could result.
Deformation of the liftgate support struts may cause vehicle damage and personal injury may occur.
- NEVER allow anyone to occupy the
luggage compartment of the vehicle
at any time. If the liftgate is partially
or totally latched and the person
is unable to get out, serious injury
or death could occur due to lack
of ventilation, exhaust fumes and
rapid heat build-up, or because of
exposure to cold weather conditions.
The luggage compartment is also a highly dangerous location in the event of a crash because it is not a protected occupant space but is a part of the vehicle's crush zone.
- Your vehicle should be kept locked and keys should be kept out of the reach of children. Parents should teach their children about the dangers of playing in luggage compartments.
Emergency liftgate safety release
Your vehicle is equipped with the emergency liftgate safety release lever located on the bottom of the liftgate.
When someone is inadvertently locked in the luggage compartment, the liftgate can be opened by moving the lever in the direction of the arrow and pushing the liftgate open.
- For emergencies, be fully aware of the location of the emergency liftgate safety release lever in the vehicle and how to open the liftgate if you are accidentally locked in the luggage compartment.
- No one should be allowed to occupy the luggage compartment of the vehicle at any time. The luggage compartment is a very dangerous location in the event of a crash.
- Use the release lever for emergencies only. Use with extreme caution, especially while the vehicle is in motion.
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Owner's Manual
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Workshop Manual