Hyundai Tucson: Smart liftgate
On a vehicle equipped with a smart key, the liftgate can be opened with handsfree activation using the smart liftgate system.
Using smart liftgate
The hands-free smart liftgate system can be opened automatically when the following conditions are met:
- The smart liftgate option is enabled in the Settings menu in the infotainment system screen.
- The smart liftgate is activated and ready 15 seconds after all the doors are closed and locked.
- The smart liftgate will open when the smart key is detected in the area behind the vehicle for 3 seconds.
The smart liftgate will NOT operate when:
- A door is not locked or closed.
- The smart key is detected within 15 seconds from when the doors were closed and locked.
- The smart key is detected within 15 seconds after the doors are closed and locked, and within 60 in. (1.5 m) from the front door handles. (for vehicles equipped with Welcome Light).
- The smart key is in the vehicle.
To activate the Smart Liftgate, go to User Settings Mode and select Smart Liftgate on the LCD display.
2. Detect and Alert
The smart liftgate detecting area extends approximately 20~40 in.
(50~100 cm) behind the vehicle. If you are positioned in the detecting area and are carrying the smart key, the hazard warning lights will blink and the chime will sound to alert you that the smart liftgate will open.
Do not approach the detecting area if you do not want the liftgate to open. If you have unintentionally entered the detecting area and the hazard warning lights and chime starts to operate, move away from the area behind the vehicle with the smart key. The liftgate will remain closed.
3. Automatic opening
After the hazard warning lights blink and the chime sounds 6 times, the smart liftgate will open.
Deactivating smart liftgate
- Door lock
- Door unlock
- Liftgate open (Liftgate) Liftgate open / close (Power liftgate)
If you press any button on the smart key during the Detect and Alert stage, the smart liftgate will be deactivated.
Make sure to be aware of how to deactivate the smart liftgate for emergency situations.
- If you press the door unlock button (2), the smart liftgate will be deactivated temporarily. But, if you do not open any door for 30 seconds, the smart liftgate will be activated again.
- If you press the liftgate open button (3) for more than 1 second, the liftgate opens.
- The smart liftgate will still be activated if you press the door lock button (1) or liftgate open/close button (3) on the smart key as long as the smart liftgate is not already in the Detect and Alert stage.
- In case you have deactivated the smart liftgate by pressing the smart key button and opened a door, the smart liftgate can be activated again by closing and locking all doors.
- The smart liftgate detecting area extends approximately 20~40 in.(50~100 cm) behind the vehicle. If you are positioned in the detecting area and are carrying the smart key, the hazard warning lights will blink and the chime will sound for about 3 seconds to alert you that the liftgate will open.
- The alert stops once the smart key is moved outside of the detecting area within the 3 second period.
Smart liftgate may not operate properly if any of the following occur:
- The smart key is close to a radio transmitter such as a radio station or an airport which can interfere with normal operation of the transmitter.
- The smart key is near a mobile two way radio system or a mobile phone.
- Another vehicle's smart key is being operated close to your vehicle.
Smart liftgate detecting area may change when:
- The vehicle is parked on an incline or slope.
- One side of the vehicle is raised or lowered relative to the opposite side.
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Owner's Manual
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Workshop Manual