Hyundai Tucson: Engine oil
Checking the engine oil level
Engine oil is used for lubricating, cooling, and operating various hydraulic components in the engine. Engine oil consumption while driving is normal, and it is necessary to check and refill the engine oil regularly. Also, check and refill the oil level within the recommended maintenance schedule to prevent deterioration of oil performance.
Check the engine oil following the below procedure.
- Follow all of the oil manufacturer's precautions.
- Be sure the vehicle is on the level ground in P (Park) with the parking brake set and the wheels blocked.
- Turn the engine on and warm the engine up until the coolant temperature reaches a constant normal temperature.
- Turn the engine off, remove the oil
filler cap and pull the dipstick out.
Wait for 15 minutes for the oil to return to the oil pan.
- Wipe the dipstick clean and re-insert it fully.
- Pull the dipstick out again and check the level. The level should be between F (Full) and L (Low).
- If the oil level is below the L, add enough oil to bring the level to F.
Use only the specified engine oil (Refer to "Recommended Lubricants and Capacities" section in chapter 2).
To prevent damage to your engine:
- Do not spill engine oil when adding or changing engine oil. Wipe off spilled oil immediately.
- The engine oil consumption may increase while you break in a new vehicle and it will be stabilized after driving 4,000 miles (6,000 km).
- The engine oil consumption can be affected by driving habits, climate conditions, traffic conditions, oil quality, etc. Therefore, it is recommended that you inspect the engine oil level regularly and refill it if necessary.
Checking the Engine Oil and Filter
- Have engine oil and filter changed by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer according to the Maintenance Schedule at the beginning of this chapter.
- If the maintenance schedule to replace engine oil is exceeded, the engine oil performance may deteriorate, and the engine condition may be affected. Therefore, replace the engine oil according to the maintenance schedule.
- To keep the engine in optimal condition, use the recommended engine oil and filter. If the recommended engine oil and filter are not used, replace it according to the maintenance schedule under severe usage conditions.
- The purpose of the maintenance schedule for engine oil replacement is to prevent oil deterioration and it is irrelevant to oil consumption. Check and refill engine oil regularly.
When the oil pressure is low due to insufficient engine oil, the Engine Oil Pressure ( ) warning light will illuminate. In addition, the enhanced engine protection system, which limits the engine's power is activated and the Malfunction Indicator Lamp ( ) will illuminate when the vehicle is driven in this state continuously. When oil pressure is restored, the Engine Oil Pressure warning light will turn off and the engine power will no longer be limited.
The engine oil is very hot immediately after the vehicle has been driven and can cause burns during replacement.
Replace the engine oil after the engine oil has cooled down.
CALIFORNIA PROPOSITION 65 WARNING
Engine oil contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects and reproductive harm.
Used engine oil may cause irritation or cancer of the skin if left in contact with the skin for prolonged periods of time.
Always protect your skin by washing your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water as soon as possible after handling used oil.
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Owner's Manual
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Workshop Manual