Hyundai Tucson: Reverse Parking Distance Warning (PDW)
Reverse Parking Distance Warning will help warn the driver if an obstacle is detected within a certain distance when the vehicle is moving in reverse at low speeds.
 : Rear ultrasonic sensors
Refer to the picture above for the detailed location of the detecting sensors.
Reverse Parking Distance Warning Settings
Select 'Driver Assistance → Warning Volume' from the cluster or infotainment system Settings menu to change the Warning Volume to 'High', 'Medium', or 'Low' for Reverse Parking Distance Warning. If you change the Warning Volume, the Warning Volume of other Driver Assistance systems may change.
Reverse Parking Distance Warning
Parking Safety button (if equipped)
- Press the Parking Safety ( ) button to turn on Reverse Parking Distance Warning. Press the button again to turn off the function.
- When Reverse Parking Distance Warning is off (button indicator light on), if you shift the gear to R (Reverse), Reverse Parking Distance Warning will automatically turn on.
Reverse Parking Distance Warning
- Reverse Parking Distance Warning will operate when the gear is in R (Reverse).
- Reverse Parking Distance Warning helps detect a person, animal or object in the rear when the vehicle's rearward speed is below 6 mph (10 km/h).
- The corresponding indicator will illuminate whenever each ultrasonic sensor detects a person, animal or object in its sensing range. Also an audible warning will sound.
- When more than two objects are detected at the same time, the closest one will be warned with an audible warning.
- The shape of the indicator in the illustration may differ from the actual vehicle.
Reverse Parking Distance Warning Malfunction and Precautions
Reverse Parking Distance Warning malfunction
After starting the engine, a beep will sound when the gear is shifted to R (Reverse) to indicate Reverse Parking Distance Warning is operating normally.
However, if one or more of the following occurs, first check whether the ultrasonic sensor is damaged or blocked with foreign material. If it still does not work properly, have the vehicle inspected by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer.
- The audible warning does not sound.
- The buzzer sounds intermittently.
- The 'Parking sensor error or blockage' warning message appears on the cluster.
- Reverse Parking Distance Warning is a supplemental function. The operation of Reverse Parking Distance Warning can be affected by several factors (including environmental conditions). It is the responsibility of the driver to always check the rear view before and while parking.
- Your new vehicle warranty does not cover any accidents or damage to the vehicle due to the malfunction of Reverse Parking Distance Warning.
- Pay close attention when driving near objects, pedestrians, and especially children. Some objects may not be detected by the ultrasonic sensors, due to the objects distance, size or material, all of which can limit the effectiveness of the sensor.
Limitations of Reverse Parking Distance Warning
Reverse Parking Distance Warning may not operate normally when:
- Moisture is frozen to the sensor
- Sensor is covered with foreign material, such as snow or water (Reverse Parking Distance Warning will operate normally when such foreign material are removed.)
- The weather is extremely hot or cold
- The sensor or sensor assembly is disassembled
- The surface of the sensor has been subjected to a hard impact
- The surface of the sensor has been scratched with a sharp object
- The sensors or its surrounding area is directly sprayed with high pressure washer
Reverse Parking Distance Warning may malfunction when:
- Heavy rain or water spray is present
- Water flows on the surface of the sensor
- Affected by another vehicle's sensors
- The sensor is covered with snow
- Driving on uneven road, gravel roads or bushes
- Objects that generates ultrasonic waves are near the sensor
- Installing the license plate differently from the original location
- The vehicle bumper height or ultrasonic sensor installation has been modified
- Attaching equipments or accessories around the ultrasonic sensors
The following objects may not be detected:
- Sharp or slim objects, such as ropes, chains or small poles.
- Objects, which tend to absorb sensor frequency, such as clothes, spongy material or snow.
- Objects smaller than 40 in. (100 cm) in length and narrower than 6 in. (14 cm) in diameter.
- Pedestrians, animals or objects that are very close to the ultrasonic sensors
Parking Distance Warning Indicators may be displayed differently from the actual detected location when the obstacle is located between the sensors.
Parking Distance Warning indicator may not occur sequentially depending on vehicle speed or obstacle shape.
If Reverse Parking Distance Warning needs repair, have the vehicle inspected by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer.
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Owner's Manual
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Workshop Manual