Hyundai Tucson: Intelligent speed limit assist (ISLA)
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist uses information from the detected road sign and navigation system to inform the driver of the speed limit and additional information of the current road. Also, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist helps the driver to maintain within the speed limit of the road.
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist may not operate properly if the function is used in other countries.
 : Front view camera
Refer to the picture above for the detailed location of the detecting sensor.
For more details on the precautions of the front view camera, refer to "Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)" section in chapter 7.
If the navigation system is available, the information from the navigation system is used along with the road sign information detected by the front view camera.
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist Settings
With the engine on, select or deselect 'Vehicle settings → Speed limit' from the Settings menu to set whether or not to use each function.
- If 'Speed limit assist' is selected, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will inform the driver of speed limit and additional road signs. In addition, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will inform the driver to change set speed of Manual Speed Limit Assist or Smart Cruise Control to help the driver stay within the speed limit.
- If 'Speed limit warning' is selected, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will inform the driver of speed limit and additional road signs. In addition, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will warn the driver when the vehicle is driven faster than the speed limit.
- If 'Off' is selected, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will turn off.
If 'Speed limit warning' is selected, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will not inform the driver to adjust set speed.
Speed Limit Offset
With the Engine Start/Stop button in the ON position, when 'Driver assistance → Speed limit → Speed limit tolerance' is selected, the Speed limit tolerance can be changed. Speed Limit Warning and Speed Limit Assist will operate by applying the Speed limit tolerance setting to the detected speed limit.
- For your safety, change the Settings after parking the vehicle at a safe location.
- Speed Limit Assist function operates based on the Speed limit tolerance setting added to the speed limit. If you want to change the set speed according to the speed limit, adjust the offset to '0'.
- Speed Limit Warning function warns the driver when driving speed exceeds the speed at which the set Speed limit tolerance is added to speed limit. If you want Speed limit warning to warn you immediately when the driving speed exceeds the speed limit, adjust the offset to '0'.
- Navigation-based Smart Cruise Control (NSCC) function does not reflect Speed Limit Tolerance set-up.
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist Operation
Warning and control
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will warn and control the vehicle by 'Displaying speed limit', 'Warning overspeed' and 'Changing set speed'.
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist warning and control are described based on the Offset adjust to '0'. For details on Offset setting, refer to the "Intelligent Speed Limit Assist Settings".
Displaying speed limit
Speed limit information is displayed on the instrument cluster.
- If speed limit information of the road cannot be recognized, '---' sign will be displayed. Please refer to "Limitations of Intelligent Speed Limit Assist " if the road signs are difficult to recognize.
- Supplementary sign displayed under the speed limit or overtaking restriction sign means the conditions under which the signs must be followed. If supplementary sign is not recognized, it will be displayed as blank.
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist provides additional road sign information in addition to speed limit. The additional road sign information provided may vary according to your country.
When driving at a speed higher than the displayed speed limit, the speed limit is displayed in red.
Changing set speed
If the speed limit of the road changes during the operation of Manual Speed Limit Assist or Smart Cruise Control, an arrow in the direction of up or down is displayed to inform the driver that the set speed needs to be changed. At this time, the driver can change the set speed according to the speed limit by using the + or - switch on the steering wheel.
- If the Speed limit tolerance is set over '0', the set speed will change to a higher speed than the speed limit of the road. If you want to drive below the speed limit, set the Speed limit tolerance under '0' or use the - switch on the steering wheel to lower the set speed.
- Even after changing the set speed according to the speed limit of the road, the vehicle can still be driven over the speed limit. If necessary, depress the brake pedal to reduce your driving speed.
- If the speed limit of the road is under 20 mph (30 km/h), the set speed change function will not work.
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist
operates using the speed unit in the
instrument cluster set by the driver.
If the speed unit is set to a unit other than the speed unit used in your country, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist may not operate properly.
- For more details on Manual Speed Limit Assist operation, refer to "Manual Speed Limit Assist (MSLA)" section in chapter 7.
- For more details on Smart Cruise Control operation, refer to "Smart Cruise Control (SCC)" section in chapter 7.
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist Malfunction and Limitations
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist malfunction
When Intelligent Speed Limit Assist is not working properly, the 'Check speed limit system' warning message will appear on the cluster. If this occurs, we recommend that the vehicle be inspected by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer.
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist disabled
When the front windshield where the front view camera is located is covered with foreign material, such as snow or rain, it can reduce the detecting performance and temporarily limit or disable Intelligent Speed Limit Assist.
If this occurs, the 'Speed limit system disabled. Camera obscured' warning message will appear on the cluster.
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist will operate normally when snow, rain or foreign material is removed.
If Intelligent Speed Limit Assist does not operate normally after it is removed, we recommend that the vehicle be inspected by an authorized HYUNDAI dealer.
- Even though the warning message or warning light does not appear on the cluster, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist may not operate properly.
- If the detecting sensor is contaminated immediately after starting the engine, Intelligent Speed Limit Assist may not operate properly.
Limitations of Intelligent Speed Limit Assist
Intelligent Speed Limit Assist may not operate or may not provide correct information under the following circumstances:
The road sign is contaminated or indistinguishable
- The road sign is difficult to see due to bad weather, such as rain, snow, fog, etc.
- The road sign is not clear or damaged
- The road sign is partially obscured by surrounding objects or shadow
The road signs do not conform to the standard
- The text or picture on the road sign is different from the standard
- The road sign is installed between the main line and the exit road or between diverging roads
- There is no conditional road signs on the road sign located on the exit road
- A sign is attached to another vehicle
The brightness changes suddenly, for example when entering or exiting a tunnel or passing under a bridge
Headlamps are not used or the brightness of the headlamps are weak at night or in the tunnel
Road signs are difficult to recognize due to the reflection of sunlight, street lights, or oncoming vehicles
The distance between the driving lane and the road sign is far
Luminous road signs
There is a similar object or text which is in the road sign or an object like a road sign
There is an error in the navigation map data or GPS data
The vehicle does not drive based on the route guidance
The field of view of the front view camera is obstructed by sun glare
Driving on a road that is sharply curved or continuously curved
Driving through speed bumps, or driving up and down or left to right on steep inclines
The vehicle is shaking heavily
For more details on the limitations of the front view camera, refer to "Forward Collision-Avoidance Assist (FCA)" section in chapter 7.
- Intelligent Speed Limit Assist is a supplemental function that helps the driver to comply with the speed limit on the road, and may not display the correct speed limit or control the driving speed properly.
- Always set the vehicle speed to the speed limit in your country.
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Owner's Manual
- Hyundai Tucson - Fourth generation (NX4) - (2020-2023) - Workshop Manual